Thursday, December 04, 2008

Child rearing its ugly head

This is me being honest. This is me being not nice. This is me judging.

Please forgive me.

Yesterday we had 2 families visit the library that make me aware of my blood pressure rising up a notch every time they step across the threshold. Both families have at 5least 5 children between the ages of 1 and 9 (and counting since one of the moms is pregnant again), and each brood is being home schooled by their grouchy, negligent, inept mothers. The children are a little scattered. I (mainly) forgive them, because I don't think that there is much structure in their lives, and after all they are kids. I imagine the future of one set of kids, and there is plenty of sexism, booze and infidelity in this vision. The other set of children seem more grounded, despite their mother preaching to them that they "must obey her." I could scoop several of these children up and take them home, since I see a new generation of co-dependence and low self esteem unfolding. I know I don't have a lot of experience with parenting, or have a degree in child psychology, but I think having children means enjoying them, even when they challenge your patience. When both the families left, and no one else was around, I whispered to one of my staff. I said, "I have 2 words for you: birth control." I should have added "public school," "know your limitations," and "WTF!"

Seriously, I know that being a parent is tough. I try to remember 2 of the 7 principles of Unitarian Universalism during these frayed visits. One is recognizing the inherent worth and dignity of every person, and the other is justice, equity and compassion in human relations. I try, I really do, but I still question why it is that some have so much, and others do not, and why I seem destined to be childless.

2 comments:

Turfdad said...

Sarah- I think after this post you and Lars will try fertility drugs and have quintuplets.

Hyperher said...

Funny!