Monday, December 01, 2008

Advent, or the first of many days

I received a wonderful package last week. I have been getting a lot of packages from publishing houses because I am on an award committee for the state for children's lit, but this came in a colorful package that held inside an advent calendar! I have lots of good memories of Christmas anticipation because of the advent calendars my mom had for us. This one came from my aunt and it features a beautiful scene created by the talented Maine artist Kim Jacobs. Thanks Aunt Sue!

Since I am trying to make some positive changes in my life, I thought I would share something every day with you, rather than consuming it myself. So when you visit the blog this month, picture yourself opening the little window on the advent calendar and seeing what could be hiding behind it. Today, I present you with the easiest recipe on earth:
Easy Beer Bread

3 cups of self-rising flour
½ cup sugar
1-12 ounce can of beer

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix 3 ingredients and spoon into bread pan.
Bake for 50 minutes. If desired, take out after 50 minutes and brush butter on top. Bake for another 5 minutes.

You may use whatever beer you like, but darker beers, or even flavored beer gives the bread an interesting taste. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim is very good. I always enjoy seeing the work of another Maine artist that I hadn't been aware of before. I particularly liked her oils. Nice.

Brian