Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Getting there

I haven't been to lots of places in the world, but there are a few more that I would like to visit. I was born in Maine, went to college in New Hampshire, on to grad school in Boston, Massachusetts, on to London for 2 years, and then back again to Maine. In between I've been to Canada, Ireland, Wales, and a few states like Florida, New York, and Vermont. Vermont is a progressive yet old fashioned state. It still has lots of farmland, is the home of Ben and Jerry's, has a tradition of crafts people and independent thinking and has this program, which I think is wonderful.

Don't get me wrong. There's lots of great things about Maine. I've been thinking about this recently since we have to put together a portfolio for prospective ministerial candidates for church. My co-worker complains about the lack of radio stations, restaurants, and culture, but there has to be a certain acceptance that if you live in Maine, you've got to be willing to travel a bit. There is no real transportation infrastructure, except in some of the bigger cities. Our state capital has no bus service, despite having a small airport and a Greyhound stop. I know that the price of gas is going to be a deterrent for some to wander around and discover favorite places, but I see that paying for gas is a necessity. I see that sales for my car, the Honda Fit, has risen more than 50%. I'm lucky. It takes less than $30 to fill it.

I have no major travel plans for this year. I would still love to get to England, maybe a trip down to Boston and Vermont. I have to get to Cape Cod to see my nephews too. I'm also hoping for more hikes, poke around Portland more, go to the Fiber Frolic, maybe go to a country fair, get out in the kayak, and finish all the reading I need to get done.

My current project is a felted oven mitt:

4 comments:

White Hot Magik said...

I'd love to travel more. I am not too picky either, anywhere sounds good. Are you going to show the felt when it is done? I am still envying your blue mug.

Malathionman said...

What, no plans for Coachella Fest?

Hyperher said...

M-man: I'd love to get to California, but I am not sure if I could deal with going to a festival of that size. But oh the bands! The people I could leave. You mentioned that these same people wander on to the golf course intoxicated?

Malathionman said...

There was one sleeping on the course last year, but usually its just parties that are still going on at 5am when we first go on the course. The parties usually end when the sun comes up.