Monday, May 05, 2008

Binary numbers

"No man is an island." John Donne

"One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do. Two can be as bad as one; It's the loneliest number since the number one." Three Dog Night

I was feeling low today, for a variety of reasons. I've caught a cold from my mom and sister, who came over for dinner Saturday night. It's usually the kids who pass their germs on to me when they visit, but not this time. I attempted to go to work, and did arrive in time to do a few things, find coverage for my evening shift, and then come home. My throat is burning and I am exhausted. Last night I had difficulty sleeping, after drinking way too much coffee to warm myself up. Today is a brighter, warmer day. My friend Julie and her 10 month old daughter dropped by to see me at work and that cheered me up a lot. They live very close to the library. We try to get together to see a film or even as couples but it's been a while. Her daughter is really lovely. I feel a little jealous of her, but today I nearly cried when Julie suggested I walk over on my lunch break some day and we have lunch and then a walk. It sounded lovely. I had been contemplating something someone said at my church yesterday about going it alone. She quoted John Donne. It brought Into the Wild to mind to me. Chris McCandless decided to leave Alaska and see his family again, but his naivete doomed him. He had written in the margins of one of his books: "Happiness is only real when shared." I don't know if I believe that wholly, because I am not sure we are ever really alone.

Some spring flowers. Note that my lavender wintered over beautifully.



1 comment:

White Hot Magik said...

The flowers are lovely, always cheerful. I hope your cold is short lived. I miss having lunch with my girlfriends. I was missing one of mine today and called. So my goal is to invite someone to lunch this week and start the fun with someone new. You inspired me.
Too bad we live so far away!