Sunday, April 13, 2008

In the navy

Whew! What a whirlwind weekend. Friday night was the annual city employee recognition dinner. I have worked at the library for just about 6 years, but the city goes by the 12 month calendar and feted me for 5. The night included a musical serenade by the mayor's wife, to the tune of "Maria" from The Sound of Music. That was painful. Part of the "making you feel good about yourselves" portion of the event is a drawing for door prizes, and a 50/50 raffle. The door prizes are an assortment of stuff: a woven blanket depicting scenes of the city on it, tickets to the latest concert at our events center, gift baskets, and a coveted paid day off. The weirdest part of the last prize I mentioned is that it's always the last item to be chosen. I bought 2 tickets for $1, and joked to the people at my table that it would be a toss-up between the blanket and the day off. Before the awards were handed out, they drew the first name: Me! I took the paid day off. My boss said some lovely things about me, and when she was done my library colleagues gave me a standing ovation! I was very touched. After all the people were recognized, they drew the second 50/50 and started the dancing. I listened to the numbers being called out and couldn't believe it! I won!

Saturday we drove down to Boston for my class. The class was good, and then we went to relax before hanging out with my friend Liz. That included enjoying some very good beer at Bukowski's. Once we met up with Liz, we took the T down to Government Center and then to the Black Rose. The Yankees were in town and we were trying to avoid the crowds. I approached the bar and someone spoke to me. We got chatting and quickly realized that he and his friend were Canadian. They actually are Canadian sailors. It turned out to be a great evening, which included getting to board and hang out on their ship! They were great guys.

Now we rest and recover today.




3 comments:

White Hot Magik said...

Wowee what a weekend. Do they normally let any old person on a destroyer?

CBK said...

Why was a Canadian destroyer docked in Boston? Some Naval exchange program?

Hyperher said...

Well, we had to sign in and I think they are officers. There was security, so it wasn't like you could wander on in. They were on their way home from an exercise.