Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Not young, yet restless

I was looking forward to nothing more than coming home, putting my hideous pink robe on and settling in for vegetation tonight, but all I feel is...restless. I'm going to read to some pre-schoolers tomorrow, finish work at 5 and then have to be back at 6:30 to facilitate a book group for kids in grades 4-7. We are reading George Selden's Chester Cricket's New Home. It's very sweet, and there seems to be a zen-like message regarding nature and friendship there. Or, I could be reading too much into it. My personal reading is suffering a bit due to work. It makes me feel resentful, when there is so much out there to read and I end up having to read bloody boring stuff in the name of work. It reminds me of college. I used to make myself read for assignments, which was painful. Luckily I liked most of my classes, but sometimes I could be easily distracted. I'm distracted now. The TV is coming in fuzzy, no Netflix movies to watch, Chester Cricket needs finishing, but...



L took me bowling the other night. I was thrilled. I had been making a mental list of things I wanted to do, and this was one of them. He beat me 2 games to 1. I am not a good sport so I had to lighten up a bit. The most interesting part of the evening was the fact that L's former stepson works at the alley and was there while we were. We had run into him at the video store with his girlfriend before, and he was very friendly toward L. This was a change from before. The bowling alley visit was more of the same, and I'm not surprised. L is a good person. I am sure he was a good step-father too, given the circumstances. I just thought it was interesting how L's past life intersected with our new one. That doesn't happen too much with my old life. Maybe if I ever get back to England.

2 comments:

Malathionman said...

I love bowling. I used to bowl a lot, but now I just don't have the time. Last year our Christmas party was a bowling party. I used house shoes and a house ball. I bowled a 224 and 225, no open frames. My crew thinks I'm a bowling god. Can you bowl in England?

Hyperher said...

Wow, you are good. I'm not so good, but I still love it. Yes, there is bowling in England. We used to go to the Harrow Megabowl. Very similiar with the US, but with more beer.