Friday, March 23, 2007

Kneading the bread

I baked some bread tonight. I baked it for my church yard sale/luncheon tomorrow, but I also baked it to feel better. It's the easiest recipe:
3 cups of self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 12 ounce can of beer

Mix the above ingredients and bake for 50 minutes.
Brush with melted butter and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

It's the only time I condone buying loose cans of beer. When L came down from Canada he was bewildered that it was possible to buy cold beer, and single cans/bottles. It screams "I'm having a cold one while driving." In Canada they have the Beer Store. It's a marvel of a place.

Baking bread is therapeutic for me after this week of chasing a group of musicians to ensure that they make it to Augusta from Boston and will be at the venue on time. Their website incorrectly listed the time of the performance. My calls and e-mails went unanswered until this morning. The performance is tomorrow. There are reasons why I am a librarian and not an events coordinator. I felt overwhelmed by work this week, and resentful that I have waited 5 months for a raise that I am unsure will happen. I get worked up about work. Why aren't the stacks being shelf-read? Why doesn't the staff read their e-mails?

After tomorrow I can take a deep breath, and prepare myself for. . .Monday.

No comments: