Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Grievous

I got an e-mail from a friend today who told me of the death of a high school classmate. She was close to him, although I have not seen him since 1993. It's very sad, and reminds me how difficult I find the idea of death and loss. I fall apart. I read the e-mail at about 4, and then struggled to react. I don't know how my mother finds the strength to be a hospice volunteer, but I wish I could be that purposeful. Since watching Why We Fight I have felt more helpless and distant from the happenings of the world. I struggle to find the eloquent words to say to someone as they grieve. My first thought was relief when I read the e-mail and understood that my friend was there before he died, and was able to finish a conversation or even say goodbye, even if she didn't realize that it really was goodbye.

No comments: