Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hairy thankfulness


Today I had to suppress a guffaw after hearing a grandmother's disappointment that my library does not hold the film Harry and the Hendersons. She thought it would be great for her grandchildren, who were with her today. The irony was that the children's father is Lars' new boss! Hm. Who am I to judge? I have some particular tastes in movies and books, and although I try not to let that affect my buying for work, it does seep in. You'll notice that in our kids' video section, where you will find all the Muppet movies, some Mister Rogers episodes, the Best of the Electric Company, some classic movies like The Red Balloon and White Mane, and many, many Sesame Street videos. My favorite authors include Simon James, Allan Ahlberg, Amy Rosenthal, Bernard Waber, David Elliott, Jon Muth, and Melissa Sweet. I usually buy all of their stuff for the collection. There are thousands and thousands of books for children published each year, and I am responsible for choosing the best ones for my public. It can be hard.

I am thankful that you read my words. I am also thankful for the best partner and friend in the world, for fresh vegetables, new friends, hope and yarn.

No comments: