Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Lost



I was searching the card catalog today for a good book about respecting others. It's for a daycare I occasionally read to. I note the irony that the above book, Respect and take care of things, was not taken care of and never returned to the library. This is what our catalog screams: DUE 10-24-07BILLED. I have heard a librarian call this kind of loss "accecptable losses." I can't quite accept it, because I can't imagine never returning something that I don't even own. It's not been long though. Maybe it will get returned. The saddest thing is that it is checked out to a child. What does that teach a kid?

On a more positive note, I had my teen book group tonight and it was great. They had intelligent and interesting things to say about the book and film we covered. It was Blood and Chocolate. This was a change from my last meeting, where the discussion lasted all of 3 minutes. I was feeling down about the fact that they all got a free book, got to watch a great movie, I schlepped 9 pizzas into the library for them, plus copious amounts of soda, for one of the worst discussions I had ever hosted. It was also the day after the election, and I was feeling very bitter.

3 comments:

Patty O said...

What book were you going over on that bad night?

Hyperher said...

We read the short story by Steven Millhauser that The Illusionist was based on. Maybe it was too academic. Maybe I expect too much from them.

Patty O said...

Haha, maybe you were just too good for them.