Thursday, November 29, 2007

Arty

I've always loved art. I wonder if that's why I became a children's librarian. Most picture books are like works of art; 32 pages, telling a story mostly in pictures. My aunt and uncle brought me to Boston when I was young, to many different places including the MFA. I adored it. I'm so glad they took the time to share places like that with me. I try to do the same for my nephews.

My career as a children's librarian has evolved slowly though. I didn't start out that way. I figured I'd work in a special library, or academia. I really consider myself a library generalist. This basically means that I know a little bit about everything, enough to help me run an entire library if need be. I worked at the MFA while in grad school, and then at the Museum school's library. When I got my degree I worked with teens in a library resource center for about a year before I went to England. While in London I got to do children's programming while running a library branch. It helped me get the job I have today.

I really want to make the trip out to Western Mass to the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. I don't think L will mind too much. He likes art too.

The fact is whether or not I am a children's librarian forever, I will always love art.

1 comment:

Patty O said...

I freakin' love the MFA. It's usually a must visit every time I go to Boston.