Saturday, October 13, 2007

Here, needed


I'm reading a gem of a book. It's the kind of book I want to slowly read, hating for it to come to an end. It's called Here if You Need Me, by Kate Braestrup. Braestrup writes about her job as a chaplain in the Maine Warden Service. She went to the seminary after her husband died, fulfilling his dream of becoming a UU minister. He was a Maine State trooper who was killed in a car accident while on duty. The book is about her love for her husband, her grief, her children, her faith, and the reality of going into the woods, unknowing whether you will be blessing a dead body or congratulating the parents of a small child when their lost child is found sleeping under some brush.

I've become a book curmudgeon too. I joined a book group but hate the stuff they have chosen. In hindsight, most of the people in the group are either middle aged or retired, so their taste in books is way different than my own. I'm mainly a non-fiction girl. I appreciate the classics but I like contemporary fiction. I haven't told the group members that I am a librarian, since I fear that they expect me to know everything about books but probably won't like what I have to say.

2 comments:

Patty O said...

I recently started reading The Shining and I know what you mean about wanting to read the book slowly. I'm lucky though cuz the book is over 600 pages!

And yeah, I should probably read some more non-fiction sometime. I've been trying to read more contemporary fiction stuff lately since all I read in college were classics.

White Hot Magik said...

I have been on a non-fiction kick as well lately. Maybe we should start on online book club. ?? I have never been in a book club.