Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Woman who kicks ass

Top 6 Songs by Women Who Kick Ass (in no particular order):
1. Wore Me Down- Rachel Yamaguchi
2. Shadow Boxer- Fiona Apple
3. Brass in Pocket- Chrissie Hynde
4. 1,2,3,4- Feist
5. Song Beneath the Song- Maria Taylor
6. Shy- Ani DiFranco

I thought of this lit today as I drove out to my parent's house, when I heard Fiona Apple on the radio. My mom is a woman who also kicks ass, but I was worried about her. Last night we got one of those calls that you hate to get late at night. I had baked a pumpkin cake, and we watched The Lives of Others. It touched both of us deeply. I made some cream cheese frosting after the film for the cake and as we sat down to eat a piece, the phone rang. It was my father. It was 10:26 p.m. My mom was in the hospital. She had fainted at a restaurant, and my father and their friends took her to the ER at the nearest hospital. They kept her overnight, due to a bundle branch block in her heart. The only available bed that they had was in the ICU, which scared me when I called her there early this morning. Her enzymes came back negative for damage and she was discharged mid-day today. My brother brought her home.

Last night, when I heard my father describing what happened, I felt such sadness and deep regret for not seeing her lately. We spoke earlier in the week, but I had not seen her for a while. She has been working so hard, as usual. She's not one to make a fuss about things. She's not into drama. She's going to be okay.

No comments: