Thursday, September 06, 2007

Old lady funk

This morning I woke to the alarm going off at 6 a.m. I feebly called out to L, who was to be at work at 7. My work starts at 8. Let me also preface this diatribe by saying that I am not a morning person. I called out to him again and realized that he was not upstairs. I stumbled downstairs and did not find him there either. I looked out the window, and his car was gone. I checked the caller ID and his work called at 1:06 a.m., so I guessed that's where he disappeared to. It startled me that I did not hear the phone ring at 1:06.

I chucked the dogs outside, let them in, fed both them and the cat, and went back to bed. The nights have been very cool here, and I was cold since the window was open overnight. I got under the duvet and dozed off, thinking about how lovely a hot shower would be. That was 6:24. When I pulled the blanket down, thinking it was minutes later, my squinted eyes read the time on the clock: 7:31! Crap. 29 minutes to get to work with no shower or coffee. I chucked the dogs outside again while I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I made it to work just 2 minutes late, but I couldn't help but notice a funk that reminded me of a little old lady. I moved around frequently so no one would notice. I felt a little sad about it.

Some pictures from my vacation. Our first stop was actually at Screw Auger Falls here in Maine. It's an amazing place, found in Grafton Township, not far from the NH border.


L


What nature made. It reminds me of a Lucien Freud painting.


My feet on holiday.


This place reminds me that there may be a god after all.

No comments: