Friday, April 13, 2007

Recalling

More snow yesterday, with more to come. This means that spring is delayed yet again. I love watching the dogs bounding across the yard, snouts down in the snow, eating as much as they can. I don't like that all the bulbs I planted in late fall probably won't make it, and there will be more mud and more delays to getting the bikes and kayaks out. I need some distraction.

I got an e-mail from Ticketmaster today, reminding me not to miss Foreigner. That made me smile and remember sharing a room with my sister, which was around '83. I was 9 and she was 17. When we started being roommates she threatened me, getting real close to my face and telling me "not to touch my stuff." I swore not to but still looked in her drawers when she wasn't home. The worst thing I found was a box of Dexatrim. She had an old clock radio that she had to pound on with a small hammer to work, and when she took her contacts out at night she put them in a case which plugged into an outlet to sterilize. We wore clogs back then, and kilts and both had bad haircuts and pastel glasses. She graduated high school in 1985, leaving behind her Journey and Genesis albums, and really never came back. Sure she came back to visit, but unlike my brother and I she never moved home for any length of time. I admire her for that. To make up for that though, she calls numerous times during the week.

I sent an essay in to NPR about the recent move for celebrities (who happen to be men) to apologize for their racist/sexist comments, but contrasted their motive by suggesting that when women like Barbara Bush insult the poor, she has no financial incentive to apologize and doesn't.

2 comments:

Malathionman said...

The first concert I ever went to was a Foreigner concert. It was the Foreigner 4 tour. I think that would be around 80 or 81. I'm glad I'm only old enough to be your brother.

Hyperher said...

We all get a musical bye when it comes to the past. I have a few embarrassing items on the iPod. As far as age goes, sometimes music can skip generations or even drastically separate people who may be 10 years or so apart in age. My sister will be 40 this year and she's into Fleetwood Mac and Jimmy Buffet (or as she calls him, Buffet). My first husband was into King, Genesis, New Order and Madness. My husband now likes a little bit of everything (Bravery, Bare Naked Ladies, Regina Spektor, Rammstein), and he's 4 years older than me.