Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Films

I'm hopelessly behind on watching any Oscar nominated films. I blame my lack of movie going, and that most are not out on DVD yet. I hope to see Volver this weekend with a friend, but I understand the film was snubbed in the Best Foreign Film category. I've seen The Devil Wears Prada, The Illusionist, Little Miss Sunshine, and United 93. I've been annoyed by Netflix of late which says that many items in my queue have a short wait or long wait, but I can go down to my local crappy video store and find it. I think that's Netflix's way of getting back at those of us who watch our films quickly and send them back for more. I should have joined the class action suit. Chavez v. Netflix, Inc., was filed in San Francisco Superior Court. The suit accused Netflix of failing to deliver on its claim of "unlimited DVD rentals" and "one day delivery." It's neither unlimited nor one day. Netflix settled. I could have joined the suit and gotten a month of free movies, but I was too lazy.

4 comments:

Malathionman said...

I like Pedro Almodovar. I really like "All About My Mother", "Live Flesh" and "Talk To Her" were pretty good too. I didn't care for "Bad Education" though. I heard "Volver" was pretty good. I'll have to wait for DVD. Do you watch a lot of foreign movies?

Hyperher said...

I try to watch a lot of foreign films, but not as much as I would like. My husband doesn't like subtitles and lately I've been knitting while watching, which doesn;r bode well with reading subtitles. I think the most recent foreign film I have seen is Elling. I also like independent films and documentaries.

shannon said...

Volver's lovely! Sweet and touching. Paul's got us on a classic film kick - we just watched Tony Rome with Frank Sinatra and I surprised myself by really enjoying it. Less looking forward to Shane, I must admit...

Hyperher said...

I think we're going to see The Queen, since Volver ends tonight. It's in my queue though. I have some oldies there too. Have you seen Cool Hand Luke? I have The Bicycle Thief, The Comedians, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf coming soon.