Monday, November 27, 2006

Conduct

We took a trip to the coast yesterday, driving up Mt. Battie and looking down over the hill to see Camden Harbor. I reminded L of the pictures from my childhood at the park, where we picnicked in the shade of the pine trees. Why don't people picnic much anymore? I should do that more often. I once picnicked in Harrow at a park overlooking town, sitting in overgrown grass munching on Scotch eggs and crisps. I was homesick and trying to feel better.

Today I worked on a bibliography for our upcoming community read at work. It included works on Haiti and activism. I found a subject heading I liked, as I searched the OPAC for titles: Conduct of life. It reminded me of some sort of confident path of life that is full of purpose and importance. I liked the idea of it, since there are many things I want to do that are kind and purposeful. If given the opportunity, I would love to travel to Haiti or work for a cause where I had a voice for those who don't. I've been mulling around purpose a lot lately.

I watched Desperate Housewives last night, and will now suffer through the 6 week hiatus until a new episode airs. Except I won't be suffering. I will be reading, or knitting, or other stuff. Right now I should be reading Diana Wynn Jones' Howl's Moving Castle for my book group, but I started reading Thomas Healy's I Have Heard You Calling in the Night. I quickly got into it whereas I am finding Jones' book interesting, but slow. Ah well.

No comments: