Friday, August 25, 2006

Items of curiosity

I had my usual Friday lunch hour, consisting of running errands (picked up some Grandy Oats at the health food store, bought 2 birthday cards as a part of my role as card lady at work), grabbing some fast lunch and then a trip to Good Will. At lunch I saw a girl who could have been me, about 60 lbs heavier. She had cat's eye glasses, was with a woman I am guessing was her mom, and she wore this shirt:



She was like a cross between a grownup Ramona Quimby and a non-Asian Margaret Cho, only 60 lbs heavier. I used to love reading Beverly Cleary's Ramona series. She was as about as cute as me, but far more gutsy. That bravery made up for the Dorothy Hamil haircut and her ridiculous luck.

Anyway, I went back to work and did my usual stuff, including emptying the book drop and having my afternoon snack. I had already read the paper, but for some reason glanced at the legal notices and read this:
"Hereby, I Michal ----- disclaim any association with Carmen ----- whatever such may be or be suggested as of family history, heritage and management of this summer trip to Europe and Egypt. Any description of fact deriving from above mentioned Carmen ----- are her own and have no connection with the rest of her family bearing the same last name."

It sounds like a summer vacation gone wrong, one hell of a trip. Kind of like the one Christmas I spent in Florida, where I pondered leaving my husband after spending 2 miserable weeks with he and his extended family, and my then separated parents. It took 3 years to get me back there. Anyway, I munched on a fortune cookie that was leftover after a program and pondered the notice. I recognized the man's name. He is a French eccentric who is overly protective of his children, whom I haven't seen in years. He rides his bike in an outfit straight out of An American in Paris. His notice is like a bad translation.

My fortune cookie told me that "Life to you is a dashing and bold adventure." It looks like things are looking up for me.

No comments: