Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Glam

I brought home Richard Russo's Empire Falls to try to read, although I am immediately turned off by its size and subject matter. It's about a dying Maine mill town, Maine families and I suppose what a community does to survive during economic hardship. I am a native Mainer although my parents are from Massachusetts. I don't know what kind of connection I can make to the book, since I grew up in a farming community to parents who made me watch MacNeil/Lehrer (I had alternating crushes on them) at dinner and be a good protestant and attend Sunday school. I was aces at memorization. I whizzed through the 23rd Psalm. Too bad I didn't retain any meaning. My father called the Episcopal church "ecclesiastical bullshit" this weekend, which is not very Christian-like. Getting back to the book, the reason why I am trying to read it is for the library's community reading project. One month a year we try to get as many people as possible to read a single title, and the libraries of the community sponsor book discussions and programs around the book to encourage conversation and community cohesiveness. I am rooting for Mountains Beyond Mountains, but I would do. I am more of a non-fiction girl. We are in the stages of title selection right now. This is tedious but I am making an effort to read other stuff.

I thumbed through some magazines at lunch today. First it was People, then the New York Times Magazine, then the Nation. I didn't glean much, except that Mel Gibson seems to be a ultra-Catholic maniac and the world is really screwed up. Glamour came in the mail for me today. That's my evening sorted.

What does this picture and Glamour have in common?

3 comments:

Paul Saxton said...

That's a picture of George's mother who is lying in hospital after catching her son masturbating over one of her 'glamour' magazines.

"Glamour?" asked Jerry, with a grin.

CBK said...

George zipped up instead of catching her before she fell.

Hyperher said...

Obviously Seinfeld fans! I loved that episode. I often think of it when my issue comes.