Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Stuff

I understand now why some people never have children.

I also understand that in a world where people increasingly want more, there is a sense that children are give, give and given to until nothing interests them or placates them. I find that frustrating and at the same time a real mission that when I have children, I want them to be independent, creative and able to understand what it means to give rather than get. I don't blame kids today, and I don't blame parents. I blame an economic system which pushes parents to work way too much, who guiltily buy their children things because they do not have the time to spend with them. Meaningful interaction is substituted for stuff.

Well, that's my assessment of children today. It's my observation, my theory without practice.

No comments: