Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Doss the blog

I've been dossing.

Part of it is the time of year for me: birthday, anniversary of Tim's death, parent's anniversary.

Part of it was because we hosted F.A.K. and took all of last weekend to recuperate. He called about 5 times between Saturday and Monday to tell us how much he missed us, how he missed the dogs, and wanted us to come to NY. He also mentioned that he would like to come back. Emotional manipulation? Maybe. My Pollyanna side says yes, we'll do it again.

It also has to do with me being in charge of the library while my boss is away, and shit always happens when she is away.

I got to see many of my favorite people over the weekend. The visits always go too quickly and our time together is too infrequent. All the same, I was happy to spend that time together.

One of my lifelong dreams is percolating. I am going to get my motorcycle learner permit and eventually have my own bike. I dreamed of this in London, to avoid the claustrophobia of public transport, but it never happened. Zoom, zoom. I won't be all decked out in leather or have some plate like BYKMAMA. I will take the class on Saturday. Memories of driver's ed flash through my head and I felt a little sick to my stomach thinking of my consistent failure to get my driver's license, but I will be more confident now. I also test better now.

I finally finished Julie Powell's Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen, and hope to dig into David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, which I will write about once I finish it. Novels take me longer. Meanwhile I have My Life in France by Julia Child to get into. I like her because she didn't pretend to be lovable. The fact that she was an upperclass woman with a drive to learn how to cook both appeals and repulses me at the same time. She's accessible but a snob. I want to learn more.

No comments: