Friday, November 14, 2008

Wonderful dilemma

This week was very disjointed to me with a Tuesday holiday, having gotten up at 3:30 a.m. to get my parents up and on the road. They made their transition from Maine to Florida, and I already miss my Mom. I spent the rest of my Veterans' Day visiting an old high school friend whom I recently reconnected with on Facebook. I think we are more kindred than I ever realized. We became friends in high school. It was my senior year, and we shared a table in art class. I was completing my art requirement and she was actually an artist. I let her cut my hair that year, shortly before I graduated Then we lost touch. We met for coffee and month ago and we realized that we both experienced similar situations in our first marriages, and our lives took us places we never expected. So it's nice to have a friend not too far away.

I went to Boston recently, and on the bus ride I read Elizabeth McCracken's An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination. I'm beginning to worry that I am pigeon holing my reading to only stories of loss. The book is beautiful.

Our pellet stoves are now installed and an unintended consequence of this new warmth is me falling asleep on the couch while watching TV, only to wake up at 2 a.m. with a bad TV movie blaring in the background. It's a wonderful dilemma.

No comments: