Friday, April 04, 2008

Educated

I'm going down to Boston next weekend to take a continuing ed class. It's called "Library Service to Patrons with Disabilities: Disability Awareness & Etiquette." Initially the city refused to pay for the class, claiming that they do not pay for college classes. The class is being taught at Simmons College, my Alma mater, but it isn't for credit. Lars noted the irony that I work in a building that is barely ADA compliant, and I get denied a class in something to benefit those patrons who need it the most. Eventually my boss convinced the city and it was approved. I love irony.

I attended Lars' employee recognition wing-ding the other night. I was really proud of him, since he's got the best work ethic just short of my parents. He's been working for the company for 9 years. He won a Clinical Standards and Practice award, which recognizes the top 10% of the employees. I think he has earned one every year, but is often working the night of the dinner. I know that I completely trust him in any medical emergency.

I e-mailed a friend about getting together today but I didn't hear from her so it seems I will be relishing this day alone.

1 comment:

CBK said...

Denying funding for the class isn't ironic... it's terribly, shamefully consistent.