Friday, March 28, 2008

C.S. what?

I recently signed up with a C.S.A. for fresh produce this summer. I don't raise vegetables myself, maybe the occasional pot of tomatoes and herbs but that's about it. I usually score free veggies from my parents, but I don't always see them weekly in the summer to have a reliable source. C.S.A. is short for Community Supported Agriculture. It's basically a system of pre-paying for vegetables or other farm goods, and then having them delivered weekly (or picking them up, depending upon the farm). Ours will run from June until September. We'll receive a shipment weekly of whatever is in season. Yum! I can't wait. We had yet another snow storm today. It was pretty weak but enough to cover the ground which was partially bare.

I'm planning on doing some lasagna gardening this summer. It's all about layering like a lasagna, rather than growing stuff to make one. Apparently it's a great way to control weeds, and requires no actual breaking of the soil. You start with a layer of wet newspapers, and then alternate layers of peat, compost and mulch. It will be a real experiment. It doesn't seem like spring will ever come.

1 comment:

White Hot Magik said...

I wonder if anyone does that here. I doubt it we are barely getting a farmers market going.

The lasagna idea gives me an idea to fix a gardening problem I have been having....

Now I really want a fresh grown tomato...