Saturday, March 17, 2007

"Argh Timmy, where's me pot o' gold?"


The extent of my Saint Patrick's Day celebration is more like contemplation: what is in the coloring of the McDonald's shamrock shake and what long term effects can it have on people? And what the hell does it have to do with Ireland? Ireland is really more brown and gray, more like peat than mint.

I've been to Ireland a handful of times. While I enjoyed those trips I couldn't help but feel like a specimen there, a Yank with a funny accent. It's harder to blend in there compared to my time in England, and I think that's because I was living in London and London is filled with lots of different people from all over the place. I was a ghost in London. Ireland, to me, has many similarities to Maine geographically and that's what I love about it. The familiar landscape, even though I was a foreigner.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, especially for anyone in Boston who has the day off for Evacuation Day.

No comments: