Monday, December 11, 2006

Everyone's a critic

I was in the car a bit over the weekend and caught blips of the Weekend Edition with Scott Simon on NPR. I've let my membership lapse but should pledge again. In any case I heard Simon speak with Will Grozier, a London cabbie who is also a literary critic, about Will Self's new novel called The Book of Dave. It was a good discussion. I liked hearing Grozier's accent, and what he had to say about Self's depiction of Dave, a cabbie himself. He touched a little on received pronunciation (what I always referred to as a poncy accent), using a term I never had heard but knew exactly what he meant: BBC English. I worked with a man in the library service in London with that kind of accent. He used to make snide comments about my citizenship/intelligence ("Well, you'd know nothing about that, would you? You're American."). Jealousy, I always told myself.

14 shoplifting days left, as L says. No tree up here, but plenty of spirit.

No comments: