Thursday, November 23, 2006

Faithful

My sick co-worker came in yesterday, after having a day off. She will work for one more week, and then retire for good. She has ALS, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Her mind will remain lucid while her physical condition will deteriorate, including losing all muscle control. When she came in I didn't want to pretend that nothing has happened, but I also didn't want to dwell on what's to come. We spoke about the schedule (one of my biggest job responsibilities is being the scheduler for the entire staff) and she told me that she wouldn't be missing driving the hills in the winter, so it would be good to finish work and not have those worries or worry others. I nearly started to cry.

Later she told another staff member that she was not scared of what was to come. She gave it to God, she said.

I feel sheepish since I'm not exactly the most religiously respectful person but I respect that she has such strong faith. It was those words she used. They were incredibly powerful.

No comments: