Saturday, May 13, 2006

Tats for tats

To answer a question posed, I have 2 tattoos.

I got the first one for my 30th birthday. It was a treat to myself, since I had been told that I couldn't get one. Of course, that made me pine for it even more. I chose a triquetra, which is a symbol of the trinity. I saw it as a connection to my past, present, and future. It also reminded me of a professor I once had at UNH. She referred to my thesis group as her trinity. We were three women working on very different scholarship. A work mate went with me and I chose my ankle for the spot. It was painful in a scraping sort of way. 3 days later I felt like I had jinxed myself. One week later my mother and I boarded a plane to London to attend my husband's funeral. I felt so ashamed for having the tattoo that I asked her to buy a bandage so that I could cover it up. This is the design:



I got my second tattoo as a Christmas present to myself. I drove to Waterville on Friday night in December to Bull Moose Music so I could get a Raffi CD for my friend's son. I decided to go to House of Ink to make an appointment and look at designs. I was bored. The guy had a cancellation that night so I just went with it. The second one is a Celtic trinity knot. It looks like this, except it is black an on my back:



At the time all you could get for women's pants were low rise, and I had been having problems with my back being exposed at work. My shirts were never quite long enough. This inspired me. Initially I wanted to have a design that said Read More Books, but I didn't want people reading my back while I was maneuvering around work.

Sometimes boredom is my enemy. It causes me to do random things, like my recent bad haircut. Luckily I get over things quickly.

No correct answers on my next design. But here's a hint:
"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated."

Anyone?

4 comments:

Paul Saxton said...

You're getting lifesize Laverne and Shirley faces tattooed on your back?

Hyperher said...

Almost! Just the cursive L that Laverne wore on her blouses. Fucking ridiculous, huh?

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»