Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Haunted hubris

Lately I have become more aware of my growing inferiority complex when it comes to work. I think it's partially due to having a new staff member and I'm hearing her ideas and instead of encouraging changes I am being one of those people who can't adjust. I must pull those pompoms out again and remind myself that a BA, 2 Masters degrees and 13 years of working in libraries has gotten me somewhere. I have earned this job. I suppose if I hadn't admitted this to myself today, then I'd be fucked. But to quote GI Joe, "knowing as half the battle."

Thanks, Bush administration. You're constantly sticking it to me. It's because I voted for Nader in 2000, right? In light of the recent discovery that the phone companies are sharing who we call (in my case mainly my sister, mother and wherever L is working) with the U.S. government, cell phones like Trac phones and other pay as you go types will be selling like hotcakes. It's all a conspiracy to boost cell phone sales so I can ask people not to use them in the library. My favorite sign of all time is in a florist shop outside of Watford in the UK. It said:

Please feel free to use your mobile in this shop if you wish to share all the intimate details of your phone conversation.

Nothing is intimate anymore. Except intimacy. But, if I keep writing that will be spoiled too.

No comments: